Before we begin listing the best services, lets bust two myths about faxing in general.
Myth 1: Fax is dead, right?
Not really! As per a survey done by Couponchilli, close to 16 billion fax are sent across the world each year.
That’s unbelievable, right?
I guess the first thought that would run in your mind after seeing the above statistic is, “Why fax when you can email and text?”. Although the fax machines have lost their past shine, faxing is still an industry norm in banks, law firms and various government institutions.
Myth 2: Faxing costs a lot of money.
Eek! Missed again!
Yes, fax machines are definitely expensive. But you don’t really need to have a fax machine to send or receive a fax message. Thanks to technology, you can now virtually send and receive fax from your computer.
There are a lot of free services which can help you get started. I’ve reviewed 7 free online services which you can use for sending or receiving fax online.
How does this work?
Just visit the websites mentioned below and fill in the sender and recipient details. You should know your recipient fax number in order to send over a fax. Attach the document file that you need to send. Most service providers will accept a wide range of doc files. Accept their Terms and condition and hit the send button.
And, it’s done.
Here is the list of popular free online faxing service providers.
One of the earlier web companies to offer free fax service on the Internet. However, Service is restricted to U.S.A and Canada only.
Gotfreefax allows you to send free fax twice a day with a limit of 3 pages each time. You can upload a variety of doc file like .pdf or .doc as well as .odf and .rtf file. They store your file for 5 days so that you can easily resend your file using the confirmation link in your email id.
- Gotfreefax doesn’t place any ads on your cover page. So it looks clean and professional.
- They also use premium security encryption to secure your file. So you know it’s in safe hands.
- The website looks cluttered and clumsy. But I think you can still manage it.
FaxZero service is available across the world. However, it only allows free service in U.S.A and Canada. International fax service is not free.
Under free service, this allows you to send 5 free fax messages in a day with a maximum of 3 pages plus a cover page. You can also upload a variety of doc file like .pdf, .doc, etc. FaxZero also has a unique feature which is absent from most other service provider. It provides you with a private Status URL Link. You can use that and know the status of your fax instantly.
- You’ll love the User Interface of FaxZero.
- Customer Service is also quite impressive.
- FaxZero puts their brand logo on your fax cover page if you are using their free service.
MyFax has one of the most generous free use service offers. With MyFax you can send and receive your fax with your fax number free for first 30 days (read features).
But for now, let’s have a look at their features.
Using MyFax, you can send two 10 page fax messages for free everyday. The only limitation is that their size should be limited to 10 MB. This service allows you to upload your documents file in the wide range of formats from .docs to .jpg.
By using this service you can also avail a toll-free fax number for 30 days. It also allows you to send 100 messages and receive 200 messages for free of cost.
- MyFax has a generous 30 days free Trial period.
- This Service also empowers you with a lot of flexibility regarding number of pages, document type, and tracking support.
- MyFax allows you to fax to more than 40 international countries.
- Nothing that needs to be noted. But, sometimes the web interface is slow and takes time to load.
HelloFax is another awesome service which I personally use. User Experience and Interface wise none of the other service are close to this one.
To use this service, you need to have Google drive or Hotmail account. Your fax gets saved in the Google Drive or Sky Drive which you provide initially. If needed, you can retrieve your fax from your cloud storage. You can send your files in different format .doc as well as in .jpg format. As a free user, you will be able to send 5 free faxes.
- I like the flexibility of my fax getting stored in Google Drive. It gives me an added sense of security.
- The ability to sign your documents is also a pretty cool feature.
- As a free user, your account is pretty much limited. To use their advanced feature you’ve to upgrade your account to a premium membership with monthly fees.
Faxfree is another service that you can use for sending/receiving fax online. FreeFax is the sister site of FaxFree.com, which also provides similar services.
They have a pretty awesome trial plan which you can try. You can use this service to send different types of file like office file as image files and pdf files.
- You can still use our old fax number while using this service.
- Once your fax is delivered, they will notify you via e-mail which takes place in quite real time.
- More ads! If you are using their free services, the cover sheet of your fax will contain one third page advertisement apart from the senders and recipient details.
PamFax is another cool service which is powered by Google drive, and Dropbox integration.
You can send 3 pages free after signup with PamFax. You also get a free fax number with them. They offer a free 30 days trial period.
- They don’t have any monthly cost and they also don’t support any ads.
- They also have a standalone software platform for Windows and Mac users.
- They only allow you to send a maximum of 3 pages. They’re also bit expensive.
Yes, I saved the best one for you at the last. This service has no monthly fee, setup fee, and we can be start using it in minutes.
This is one awesome service which allows you send 150 free faxes every month. You can send as usual a wide number of document files. You can also send a fax from its service portal or from any email account you use.
- This service provides you with all the features, you can expect from a paid subscription.
None that I have noticed.
Overall, they have an excellent free plan and have excellent security compliance. They’ve top notch compatibility with Windows and Mac. So, my vote goes to this one.
I told my entire list. Now, it’s your turn. Let me know in the comments which service you have used or have been using.
What do you like about them?
Don’t forget to share this list with your business associates.